Ever since I was a child, I have been fascinated by nature and the riddles it poses for us human beings. I was born and raised in the city of Beer Sheva, in the desert of the Negev, south Israel. Growing up in the desert has had a huge impact on me: where geological features are amplified by the lack of significant vegetation, where the ecosystem is teeming with life despite the less than 200mm precipitation per year and where the stars shine brightly in the clear night sky.
Years later I applied for a B.Sc follow by M.Sc in the Department of Geological and Environmental Sciences in Ben-Gurion University of the Negev. I found out that one of greatest challenges of our time is understanding the coupling between land, air and sea, and the way biological, physical and chemical processes interact together to form the Earth as we know it.
- Antler G., Turchyn A.V., Herut B., Sivan O. A unique isotopic fingerprint of sulfate-driven anaerobic oxidation of methane. Geology, 43(7), 619-622. dio:10.1130/G36688.1
- Sivan O, Antler G., Turchyn A.V., Marlow J., Orphan V.J. (2014) Iron oxides stimulate sulfate driven anaerobic methane oxidation in seeps. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA, 111, 4139-4147. dio: 10.1073/pnas.1412269111
- Avrahamov N., Antler G., Yechieli Y., Gavrieli I., Joye S., Turchyn A.V., Sivan O. (2014) Anaerobic oxidation of methane by sulfate in hypersaline groundwater of the Dead Sea aquifer. Geobiology, 12, 511–528. doi: 10.1111/gbi.12095
- Antler G., Turchyn A.V., Herut B., Davies A., Rennie V., Sivan O. (2014) Sulfur and Oxygen Isotope tracing of sulfate driven anaerobic methane oxidation in estuarine sediments. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 142, 4-11. doi: 10.1016/j.ecss.2014.03.001
- Rubin-Blum, M., Antler, G., Turchyn, A. V., Tsadok, R., Goodman-Tchernov, B. N., Shemesh, E., Austin, J. A., Coleman, D. F., Makovsky, Y., Sivan, O., Tchernov, D. (2014). Hydrocarbon-related microbial processes in the deep sediments of the Eastern Mediterranean Levantine Basin. FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 87, 780–796. doi: 10.1111/1574-6941.12264
- Antler, G., Turchyn, A. V., Rennie, V., Herut, B., Sivan, O. (2013). Coupled sulfur and oxygen isotope insight into bacterial sulfate reduction in the natural environment. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 118, 98-117. doi: 10.1016/j.gca.2013.05.005