MAPS AND STRUCTURES
- Fossen, H. 2010, Structural geology, Cambridge University Press, 480pp. Ebook
- McClay, K. R. 2002. The mapping of geological structures. (2nd edition) Wiley, 224 pp.
- Maltman, A. 1998. Geological maps: an introduction. (2nd Edition) Wiley 260 pp.
- Park, R. G. 1997. Foundations of structural geology. (3rd edition) Chapman & Hall, 214 pp, reprinted 2005 by Routledge.
TECTONICS AND SEISMOLOGY
- Allen, P.A. 1997, Earth Surface Processes. Blackwell, Oxford, 404p. ISBN 0-632-03507-2. Ebook
- Cox A. & R.B. Hart. 1986. Plate Tectonics: How it works. Blackwell Scientific Publications. Ebook
- ** C. Mary Fowler (2004). The Solid Earth, 2nd Edition. Cambridge University Press. (An outstanding book covering a wide range of global geophysics. Will still be useful at Part II.)
EVOLUTION OF THE HYDROSPHERE
- W.S. Broecker and T.H. Peng, Tracers in the sea; Eldigio Press, 1982, 690pp. Now out of print, but in many college libraries.
- G. Faure, Principles of Isotope geology, 2nd edition, Wiley, 1986, 589pp. The standard text for an introduction to isotope systematics.
- S.M. Libes, An introduction to marine biogeochemistry; Wiley, 1992, 734pp. 2Nd ed 2009 Ebook Covers some of the topics at a less advanced level.
- Open University, Ocean chemistry and deep-sea sediments, Pergamon Press, 1989 and 1991 (also excellent coverage of basics)
- ** Bridge, J. and Demicco, R., 2008. Earth Surface Processes, Landforms and Sediment Deposits. Cambridge University Press. Leading text book on the subject.
- ** Nichols, G. 1999. Sedimentology and stratigraphy. Blackwell Science, 355 pp. Excellent coverage for our courses on both Sedimentology and sedimentary basins. Ebook
- Leeder, M.R. 1999 Sedimentology and sedimentary basins: from turbulence to tectonics. Blackwell Science. Ebook.
- Good coverage of sediment transport by fluids and good on basins and clastics as well.
- Reading, H.G. (ed). 1996. Sedimentary environments: processes, facies and stratigraphy. 3rd edition. Blackwell. Ebook Encyclopaedic, reference.
- Scoffin, T.P. 1987. An introduction to carbonate sediments and rocks. Blackie.
- Stow, D.A.V. 2005. Sedimentary rocks in the field: A colour guide. Manson Publishing.
- Tucker, M.E. 2001. An introduction to sedimentary petrology. 3rd edition. Blackwell. Ebook
PALAEOBIOLOGY AND PALAEOECOLOGY
- Briggs, D. E. G., and Crowther, P. R. 1990. Palaeobiology, a synthesis. Blackwell Scientific, Oxford. (Short essays on a wide range of palaeobiological topics)
- Briggs, D.E.G., and Crowther, P.R. 2001. Palaeobiology II, A synthesis. Blackwell Scientific, Oxford. Ebook (Short essays on a wide range of palaeobiological topics)
- ** Clarkson, E. N. 1998. Invertebrate palaeontology and evolution, 4th ed. Blackwell. Ebook (A straightforward survey of the important fossil-forming invertebrates)
- Futuyma, D. J. 2005 Evolution. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland (Massachusetts). 603 pp. A comprehensive and up to date text covering all aspects of evolutionary biology.
- Lipps, J. H. (ed.) 1993. Fossil prokaryotes and protists. Blackwell Scientific, Boston. (Useful overview of the important fossil-forming protists)
- Skelton, P. (ed.) 1993. Evolution, a biological and palaeontological approach. Addison-Wesley. Exhaustive coverage of evolutionary principles with a focus on the unique contribution of palaeontological data.
VERTEBRATES AND THEIR EVOLUTION
- Benton, M.J. 2005. Vertebrate Palaeontology 3rd Edn. Blackwell. Ebook
- Kemp, T.S. 2005. The origin and evolution of mammals. Oxford University Press. Ebook
- Pough, F.H., Janis, C.M. & Heiser, JB., 2012. Vertebrate life. Pearson, 9th Edition. (Good stuff if you want to learn a little more about the nuts, bolts and biology of these critters - mix of living and fossil forms helps as well.)
- Allen PA, Allen JR 2013, Basin Analysis: Principles and Application to Petroleum Play Assessment, Chichester, Wiley-Blackwell.
- Allen P.A., Allen John R. 2005, Basin analysis: Principles and Applications, Oxford Blackwell Pub, ISBN:9780632052073. 2Nd ed ebook. Good on general principles; more detail than you need, but with a useful chapter on petroleum near the end.
- Busby, C.J. & Ingersoll, R.V. (eds) 1995 Tectonics of sedimentary basins. Blackwell Science, Oxford. (Takes a geological rather than mechanical view of basins. Useful chapters on basins in each main tectonic setting.)
- Leeder, M. 1999. Sedimentology and sedimentary basins: from turbulence to tectonics. Blackwell Science, Oxford. Ebook (Mostly on sedimentology, but has a concise reliable treatment of basins at the end.)