What is Falcon
Falcon is a content management system (CMS), based on Plone, that has been designed by the University Computer Service. Departments are being encouraged to use it to introduce a common look and feel across the university website.
In a nutshell, Falcon stores our web pages as files in its database. These are then fetched and incorporated into the site template when a user requests a page.
The Falcon website has been designed so that most of the features that you might want are available to you.
It is advised that all administrators of Falcon attend the free University Falcon courses:
Listed below are links to the Falcon help pages:
Almost everything you will need to keep your webpage maintained and up-to-date can be found here.
If you are managing a webpage for the department, you will be given privileges by the ESC computer officers. You gain access using your Raven credentials.
The help pages are ordered into the following categories:
- Getting started for admins
- The Home Page
- Adding Content
- Using the Research Directory
- Collections and adding styled content
Within these pages you will find information on the following and much more:
- Adding content
- Adding pages and files
- Adding content to a page
- Using the in-built editor
- includes Adding hyperlinks to other pages and sites
- Organising your left-hand navigation
- Adding images
- includes where to store images, quick upload of multiple images and automatic image scaling
- Adding portlets, videos, iframes and displaying quotes
- Moving Webpages
- Using the carousel, portlets and teasers
- Adding news, events or job items and the RSS news feed
- Publishing content in bulk
- Editing a People Profile page
If you can't find what you are looking for in the above, type a keyword into the Search box in the Falcon Pages. For example, typing "Table" into the Search box will list all pages containing tables, including examples of what the Falcon styled tables look like. (Click the image to enlarge).
To locate the profile:
- visit the People pages.
- Locate the name in the category of staff/student
- Click Edit to edit the profile.
There are currently 4 pages that can contain various information on each person.
Each page must be Saved before moving to the next otherwise data will be lost.
- Once you have finished editing, click Save