- The Bridgeman furnace for crystal growth in the high-temperature laboratory
The facilities of the high-temperature laboratory are used for the synthesis of samples involving high-temperatures and hydrothermal pressures and for studies of the interactions between fluids and minerals.
The major items of equipment in the lab include:
- 6 high temperature furnaces (1500°C, 1 atm)
- 12 hydrothermal cold seal pressure vessels and furnaces (1000°C, 2 kbar)
- a piston-cylinder rig (1600°C, 25 kbar)
- a Walker press (2000°C, 200 kbar)
- a controlled-atmosphere furnace
- a Bridgeman furnace for the growth of single crystals from high-temperature melts.
- Array of hydrothermal furnaces used for sample preparation, on removal from the furnace the sample is immediately placed into the bucket of cold water!
Last updated on 22-Dec-08 17:06