skip to primary navigationskip to content

Accidents and Incidents

What to do in the Case of Injury

  1. Call a First Aider (see list below) or ring Reception (33400). If no First Aider is available, call on one from a nearby Department. Names and numbers can be found at the end of the University telephone directory.
  2. If the Emergency Service is required dial 1-999 (any internal phone) and ask for an Ambulance at the Department of Earth Sciences, Downing Site, Cambridge and arrange for someone to meet them at the gate (Tennis Court Road) and take them to the patient / casualty.
  3. All accidents causing injury must be reported on a University accident form within 24 hours. Forms are available on the University website, or from the Principal Assistant's Office S032.
  4. Accidents involving damage to equipment should be reported to the Principal Assistant. 'Near misses' should also be reported so that future accidents can be avoided.

Hydrofluoric Acid

Anyone working with HF must be fully aware of the first aid measures to be taken in the event of an accident, and to ensure that there is a supply of 'in date' calcium gluconate gel to hand. Please read Appendix 3.

Field Work

The Department is obliged to provide first aid cover for people working in the field, so all leaders and supervisors are encouraged to take part in a 4 hour basic first aid course which is run within the department twice a year.

Accidents which occur in the field have to be reported in the same way as within the Department.

People undertaking field work abroad can obtain advice on first aid, vaccinations, etc. from the University occupational health nurse at Fenners.

Department First Aiders

Please refer to the Safety Handbook

Page Number 10  Title:  EMERGENCY CONTACTS