Wolfson Building, Bullard Laboratories
Head of Section
Local Officer for Safety
Dr. C. Gladstone
AUTHORISED PERSONS ONLY AREA
- All persons using this facility must abide by the Departmental Codes of Safe Practice, the 'Use of BP Institute Laboratories' document, and be familiar with the Risk Assessments of the area and relevant experimental procedures, prior to commencement of work.
- New users (students, staff and visitors) must not commence work until instruction has been given in the correct safety procedures for the equipment and chemicals involved.
- Appropriate PPE must be worn at all times; in particular, respiratory masks when handling clay-grade particles.
- All particles must be handled extremely carefully to avoid spills; particular attention must be paid to spherical, translucent ballotini which pose slip hazards.
- Hoses must be securely fastened and positioned to minimise spills and trip hazards.
- All Risk Assessment for experiments and other laboratory procedures, together with data sheets and COSHH assessments are pinned up behind the entrance door.
- BP Institute Laboratories
- General Chemistry Laboratory
- Sedgwick Museum: Brighton Building Conservation Laboratories
- Electron Microscopes
- Electron Probe Laboratory
- Field Work
- High Temperature Laboratory
- Infrared-Spectroscopy and Calorimetry Laboratories
- Isotope Geochemistry Laboratories
- Laser Safety Policy
- Marine Geochemistry Laboratories
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Laboratory
- Piston / Cylinder Laboratory
- Rock Crushing, Mineral Separation and Acetic Acid Digestion Laboratories
- Rock Cutting, Thin Sectioning and Polishing
- High Cross Rock Store
- Safe Use of Visual Display Units (VDUs)
- Sedimentary Laboratories
- Downing Site Instrument Workshop
- Downing Site Carpentry Workshop
- X-Ray Laboratories