Academic Staff Members
Mr Martin Walker
S. E. Wing - Ground floor - Room 007
AUTHORISED PERSONS ONLY AREA
- All persons using this facility must abide by these Departmental Codes of Safe Practice and be familiar with the Risk Assessment of the area, before commencing work.
- The Scanning Electron and Transmission Electron Microscopes are open to unsupervised authorised users only after they have satisfied the Senior Technician or the Head of Section that they are competent to do so.
- Other users may use the equipment under supervision of the technician in charge.
- The S.E.M and T.E.M facility also has within the suite of rooms S007†:
- A Photographic dark room
- Two ion beam thinning machines
- One Coating machine
- The filling of liquid nitrogen into the S.E.M & T.E.M equipment and the changing of compressed gas cylinder regulators is done by the technician or by a specially trained person. Guidelines for the emergency procedures for liquid nitrogen and compressed special gases are pinned up in the room. (Also, see Appendix 6).
- This suite of rooms must be mechanically vented at all times; the technician will instruct on fire emergency procedures.
- Authorised users may undertake normal electron microscope studies at any time.
- Operations by unqualified or semi-trained personnel; servicing and adaptation of equipment will only take place during working hours, or with the application of Appendix 2 in the case of out of hours working.
†These support areas within the facility are not open to any other person except the technician in charge.