Academic Staff Member
S. Wing – 4th floor - Room 415
- All persons using the general chemistry facilities must abide by these Departmental Codes of Safe Practice and be familiar with the Risk Assessment for the area, prior to commencement of work.
- The use of this laboratory is by prior permission from Prof Mike Bickle and/or the Departmental Chemistry Officer (Dr Jason Day). After first assessing your needs, and reading the COSHH regulations, you will then be booked a time to work and receive an explanation of the relevant safety procedures.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is required for all sections of this lab. This must be obtained before any work commences. If hydrofluoric or any other dangerous acid is in use, there must be a notice displayed to indicate what type. Any other person using the adjoining fume cupboard at the same time must also be advised of the safety requirements for the particular acid being used in the other (see Appendix 1) and Appendix 3.
- This Laboratory has a balanced air make up system, which is electrically inter-linked to the fume cupboards. There is a low flow indicator and alarm on the front of each fume cupboard, but it is safe practice that you check to make sure that there is air flow: do not just rely on the indicator.
- When using the high temperature furnace ovens, or using meeker burners in the fume cupboard, make sure you have the correct gloves, goggles and metal tongs at hand and a prepared surface to put very hot things on. You must also have a "HOT" sign placed nearby to indicate to other users that your samples are hot!
- All hydrofluoric acid users must read Appendix 3.
- Before disposing of any chemicals down the drain, permission must be obtained from the Departmental Chemistry Officer (Dr J. Day), and with reference to the University Safety Manual Guidance for Discharges to Drains. (Manual in Library). Dr Day will also deal with any chemicals for which other methods of disposal are required.
- Working out of hours: see Appendix 2.
Last updated on 25-Sep-09 09:30