skip to primary navigationskip to content

Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Laboratory

Academic Staff Member

Dr Ian Farnan


3rd Floor South Wing Rooms 306/307/308



  1. All procedures must be carried out in accordance with these Departmental Codes of Safe Practice and all users must be familiar with the Risk Assessment for the area before commencing work.
  2. All work on this facility is through Dr Ian Farnan for this Department or Dr Don Marvin from the Department of Biochemistry.
  3. No entry by unauthorised persons, including cleaners and all maintenance personnel, except for the guided access to the fire escape.
  4. Liquid nitrogen and helium are used in this room: see Appendix 6 for relevant safety instructions.
  5. WARNING: Danger of asphyxiation. A large de-gas of nitrogen or helium will result in oxygen depletion. For this reason there is an oxygen monitor in the room. If such an event occurs, open windows and doors, and leave the room for a few minutes until the monitor reads 'safe'. The air input fan should be left on at all times.
  6. WARNING: Cardiac pacemaker wearers must remain more than 4.5m or 15ft away in all directions from the magnet until safety is clearly established. An NMR superconducting magnet generates strong magnetic fields that can inhibit the operation of some cardiac pacemakers, resulting in death or serious injury to the user. Consult the pacemaker user's manual, contact the manufacturer, or confer with a physician to determine the effect on a specific pacemaker.