Academic Staff Member
Senior Technical Officer
Steve Laurie Tel: 33931
High Cross, Madingley Road (adjacent to the British Antarctic Survey Building)
Tel: 33456 (Sedgwick Museum) or 01223-359098 (Rock Store phone)
AUTHORISED PERSONS ONLY AREA
- This is a geological rock store. The department's curator and museum director determine what is stored. The conservator must be consulted before any non-geological items can be stored.
- A written risk assessment must be done for this area and updated each year or sooner if there is a significant alteration to work practices or the building. An visual assessment must be done each time before you move heavy items. See Appendix 8 for information on manual handling.
- Collecting or moving rock trays and drawers which are accessible only by using tall steps is only done if allowance has been made to empty or handle them, e.g. by means of staging or similar, which avoids carrying them one-handed on the steps. If working between mobiles they must be locked (a spacer stop bar or similar to lock the space open is mandatory).
- The main entrance and the fire exits must be kept clear.
- Because of the remoteness of this building the working hours of this store must be strictly controlled. Working alone must be restricted to tasks that do not entail manual handling or tall ladder work. Normal departmental work hours apply ( 9am to 5pm) with contact being made during the lunch hour. Logging in and out of times to senior technician in museum or designated person is mandatory.
- When moving very large specimens and cabinets with mechanical aids the Head of Section and Departmental Safety Administrator must be informed.
- The Head Technician of the section is responsible for overseeing the annual programme of maintenance for the mobiles and lifting equipment.
- BP Institute Laboratories
- General Chemistry Laboratory
- Sedgwick Museum: Brighton Building Conservation Laboratories
- Electron Microscopes
- Electron Probe Laboratory
- Field Work
- High Temperature Laboratory
- Infrared-Spectroscopy and Calorimetry Laboratories
- Isotope Geochemistry Laboratories
- Laser Safety Policy
- Marine Geochemistry Laboratories
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Laboratory
- Piston / Cylinder Laboratory
- Rock Crushing, Mineral Separation and Acetic Acid Digestion Laboratories
- Rock Cutting, Thin Sectioning and Polishing
- High Cross Rock Store
- Safe Use of Visual Display Units (VDUs)
- Sedimentary Laboratories
- Downing Site Instrument Workshop
- Downing Site Carpentry Workshop
- X-Ray Laboratories
Last updated on 25-Sep-09 09:39