Academic Staff Member
South Wing-Rooms 23 and 24
NO ENTRY WITHOUT PERMISSION OF MARTIN WALKER:
This is a restricted use area. No cutting or machining is allowed without having permission from the Head of Section and there is someone else in the area who knows what you are doing
- All persons using the above Laboratories must abide by these Departmental Code of Safe practice and be familiar with the risk assessment for the area. All personnel must be fully acquainted with the emergency procedures and safe operation of the equipment. These procedures must be followed at all times.
- Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) suitable for the operation being carried out must be worn (see Appendix 1). Safety glasses or goggles must be worn when machining rock specimens, or marking and handling glass slides, and by those in the near vicinity of these operations.
- All machines must have safety guards or screens when machining is taking place and, if the operation produces dust or mist, the air extraction system must be in operation. The air extraction system must be in operation when curing or machining low or high temperature resin bonds.
- Any prolonged skin contact with epoxy resins may cause a dermatitis reaction, so wear gloves or wash hands immediately after contact.
- New research students and visiting research workers are deemed untrained, and may not use the rock cutting facilities to work on their own material, until they have undergone training. Everyone is required to book in before using any of the facilities.
- All rock specimens to be cut in this room must have been passed through a supervisor or senior academic to ascertain that the material is safe to be handled and cut, and that extra precuations for dangerous materials (e.g. natural asbestos) have been risk assessed.
- Appendix 2 in the Department Safety manual applies. Working hours for the cutting room are stictly 09.00-13.00 and 14.00-17.00.