The Department of Earth Sciences is a vibrant environment for both research and teaching. The teaching effort is concentrated in the four years of the Cambridge science degree, the Natural Sciences Tripos. This scheme provides a broad foundation of three sciences plus Maths in the first year, focusses within several science areas in the second year, then specializes in one area in the third year and the optional but popular fourth year.
Find out here about the main Earth Sciences route through the Natural Sciences Tripos.
- Prospective undergraduate students, interested in studying Earth Sciences at Cambridge, should go to the Admissions area of the website. Find out what current students think of our courses, meet some of the teaching staff, learn about our lectures, practical classes and field trips and get an idea of day-to-day activity within our Department.
- Prospective postgraduate students, hoping to do a research degree or taught M.Phil in Earth Sciences, should go to the Postgraduate Admissions area of the website, and to the Research area.
- Current students should follow the links on this page to find useful information about future years of your course and the staff who teach you. For detailed teaching resources for the present and past years of your course, you should go to the Camtools teaching sites. You should have been registered automatically on relevant worksites at the beginning of the academic year.
- Cambridge Earth Sciences teachers will find here general information about department courses, links to course booklets and general teaching documentation. More detailed information is on the Camtools or Moodle teaching sites. If you are not registered on a site that you need access to then contact email@example.com.
- Other visitors to the site will get a flavour of our teaching activities by browsing this area of the site and the Admissions area.
- Department of Earth Sciences Teaching Collection New website housing photographs and descriptions of the specimens found in the first year Reference Series at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Cambridge. This series is a collection of rocks, minerals and fossils used to aid the first year Geology students in their practical revision. Teaching Reference Series Website.