skip to primary navigationskip to content
 

100 years since John E Marr elected Woodwardian Professor

last modified Oct 17, 2017 04:16 PM
To mark 100 years since John E Marr became Woodwardian Professor, on 30 October 1917, a selection of documents have been digitised and will be available to view on the Sedgwick Museum website from 30 October.
100 years since John E Marr elected Woodwardian Professor

John E Marr's Lake District field notebooks, Sedgwick Museum Archive

On 30 October 1917 John Edward Marr succeeded to the Woodwardian Chair four months after the death of Professor Thomas McKenny Hughes.

Marr, an undergraduate at St John’s College, obtained a first class degree in Natural Sciences in 1878. He was elected a fellow of his college in 1881. Marr served on the council of the Geological Society for almost 40 years, acting as secretary for ten, and president 1904-1906. He was awarded both the Lyell Medal (1900) and Wollaston medal (1914). He became a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1891 and was awarded a Royal Medal in 1930.

Marr retired from the Woodwardian Professorship in 1930 due to failing eyesight and ill health. He died after suffering from a stroke on 1 October 1933.

Marr’s Archive, which consists predominantly of geological field notebooks spans his entire geological career from 1875 to 1931.

Read more

Sandra Freshney, Archivist

What's on Sedgwick Museum guide