Fellow, Queens' College
Volcanology, igneous petrology, geochemistry
Marie Edmonds is accepting applications for PhD students.
My research centres on the cycling of volatiles between the atmosphere and the mantle and the role that magmatic volatiles play in melting, magma genesis, storage and transport, volcanic eruption style and climate modulation over a range of timescales. I am an observationalist who develops quantitative frameworks to understand complex physical and geochemical datasets in collaboration with a diverse range of geochemists, geophysicists and volcanologists. My early career was spent in volcano observatories working on volcano hazard assessment, where I played a role in developing new instrumentation to monitor eruptions. I hold a number of leadership positions both internationally and within the UK. I am co-Chair of the Reservoirs and Fluxes Directorate of the Deep Carbon Observatory and Chair of the Synthesis Group 2019, charged with synthesising and integrating DCO science in the lead-up to the finale of the decadal program in 2019. I am Secretary for Science at the Geological Society of London. I am the Volcanology, Petrology Secretary of the American Geophysical Union. I am a NERC panel Chair and Chair of the NERC ion microprobe facility. I am an enthusiastic communicator of science and enjoy giving public lectures on the subject of volcanology and natural hazards. I am part of a dynamic Volcanology group in Cambridge with interests in igneous petrology, volcanology, modelling, hazard and instrumentation. If you are interested in joining our group for postgraduate work, see our advertised projects. Some projects I am involved with are described below.
Rift volcanism: past, present, future
Continental rift settings, where both effusive and explosive volcanism occur from fissure swarms, volcanic fields and stratovolcanoes, pose a unique set of volcanic hazards. The threat from large magnitude explosions and their associated hazards in rift settings, particularly in the East African Rift, has likely been highly underestimated. Towns and cities in this region are rapidly being developed with little or no regard for the long term risks posed. Cambridge is part of a newly awarded NERC Large Grant to research past and current volcanism and volcanic hazards in the Main Ethiopian Rift. The £3.7 million, five year long project 'RiftVolc' #RiftVolc began in September 2014 led by Prof Kathy Whaler (Edinburgh) and includes the British Geological Survey, universities of Edinburgh, Bristol, Cambridge, Oxford and Leeds as well as Addis Ababa University and the Geological Survey of Ethiopia. Read a University of Cambridge press release here.
Centre for the Observation and Modelling of Earthquakes, Volcanoes and Tectonics (COMET)
COMET is a world-leading NERC-funded collaborative centre for understanding tectonic and volcanic processes and hazards through the integrated application of Earth Observation (EO) data, ground-based measurements, and geophysical models. More than 800,000 people have died in earthquakes since the turn of the century; volcanic eruptions have demonstrated their power to cause major disruption to modern society. COMET is a partnership between the universities of Leeds, Glasgow, UCL, Oxford, Cambridge, Bristol and Reading and the British Geological Survey (BGS). We make observations of volcanic eruptions from space and develop integrated models to understand the magma storage and ascent during eruptions incorporating diverse observations and magma properties.
Recent publications can be found in the publications database here.
70. Edmonds, M. & P. Wallace, in press 2017. Exsolved fluids in magma reservoirs. Elements
69. Edmonds, M. & T. A. Mather, in press 2017. Volcanic sulfides and degassing. Elements.
68. McCormick, M., M. Edmonds*, J. Biggs, 2016. Volcano deformation and sulfur mass loading generated in tandem during explosive volcanic eruptions. Nature Communications.
67. Moussallam, Y., M. Edmonds, N. Peters, E. Gennaro, I. Sides, B. Scaillet, C. Oppenheimer, 2016.The impact of volatile degassing on the oxidation state of basaltic magmas; a case study at Kilauea volcano. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 450, 317-25.
66. Hayer, C., G. Wadge, M. Edmonds, T. Christopher, 2016. Sensitivity of OMI SO2 measurements to variable eruptive behaviour at Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 312, 1-10.
65. Robertson, E.. J. Biggs, M. Edmonds, T. Fischer, G. Kianji, W. Koros, 2016. Diffuse degassing through continental rift volcanoes: a soil CO2 survey at Longonot Volcano, Kenya. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, available online June 2016.
64. Edmonds, M., M. Humphreys, E. H. Hauri and S. Kohn, 2016. Extensive, water-rich magma reservoir beneath southern Montserrat. Invited Research Article, Lithos 252, 216-33.
63. Hartley, M. E., D. J. Morgan, J. Maclennan, M. Edmonds, T. Thordarson, 2016. Tracking timescales of short-term precursors to large basaltic fissure eruptions through Fe-Mg diffusion in olivine. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 439, 58-70.
62. Hughes, E., D. A. Neave, K. Dobson, M. Edmonds, in review 2016. How to fragment peralkaline rhyolites: Observations of pumice using combined 2D and 3D imaging. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research.
61. Rae, A., M. Edmonds, J. Maclennan, B. Houghton, 2016. Timescales of magma mixing prior to and during the 1959 Kilauea Iki eruption. Geology, 44, 6, 463-6.
60. Humphreys, M., M. Edmonds, M. Kloecking, 2016. The validity of plagioclase-melt geothermometry for decompression-driven magma crystallisation. American Mineralogist 101, 4, 769-79.
59. Houghton, B.F., J. Taddeucci, H.M. Gonnermann, M. Pistolesi, M.R. Patrick, D. Andronico, T.R. Orr, D.A. Swanson, M. Edmonds and R.J. Carey, 2016. Stronger or longer: Discriminating between Hawaiian and Strombolian eruption styles. Geology, doi 10.1130/G37423.1.
58. Edmonds, M., 2015. Flotation of magmatic minerals. Geology 43, 7, 655-656.
57. Edmonds, M., S. Michnovich, J. Grattan, 2015. Volcanic gases, silent killers. Advances in Volcanology, Observing the Volcano World: Volcano Crisis Communication, 2014. Editors C. Fearnley, W. McGuire, G. Jolly. Springer.
56. Hartley, M., D. Neave, J. Maclennan, M. Edmonds, 2015. Diffusive over-hydration of olivine-hosted melt inclusions. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 425, 168-178.
55. Cassidy, M., Watt, S.F.L., Talling, P.J. Palmer, M.R., Edmonds M., Wall-Palmer, D., Jutzeler, M., Coussens, M., Gernon, T., Taylor, R.N., Inglis, E., Hunt, J., Le Friant, A., Ishizuka, O., 2015. Rapid onset of mafic magmatism facilitated by volcanic edifice collapse. Geophysical Research Letters 42(12):4778-85.
54. Shorttle, O., Y. Moussallam, M. Hartley, J. Maclennan, M. Edmonds, B. Murton, 2015. The role of ocean island volcanism in the solid-Earth oxygen cycle. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 427:272-85.
53. Sibik, S., M. Edmonds, J. Maclennan, H. Svensen, 2015. Effect of mantle heterogeneity and crustal contamination on the volatile output of Siberian Traps magmas. J. Petrology. 56, 11, 2089–2116.
52. Christopher, T.E., Blundy, J., Cashman, K., Cole, P., Edmonds, M., Smith, P., Sparks R.S.J.and Stinton, A., 2015. Crustal-scale degassing due to magma system destabilisation and magma-gas decoupling at Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 16, 9, 2797-2811.
51. Humphreys, M., M. Edmonds, T. Christopher and V. Hards, 2015. Comment on: Magma storage region processes of the Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat. Joseph D Devine and Malcolm Rutherford In: The eruption of Soufriere Hills Montserrat from 2000 to 2010. Eds G. Wadge, R. Robertson, B. Voight. Geological Society, London, Memoirs, 39.
50. Edmonds, M., 2015. Partitioning of light lithophile elements in basalts on Earth and application to Mars. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 411, 142-150.
49. Zellmer, G. F., M. Edmonds, S. M. Straub, 2015. Volatiles in subduction zone magmatism. In: The Role of Volatiles in the Genesis, Evolution and Eruption of Arc Magmas. Eds G. Zellmer, M. Edmonds, S. Straub. Geological Society of London Special Publication 410.
48. Cassidy, M., M. Edmonds, S. Watt, T. Christopher, 2015. Origin of basalts by hybridisation in andesite-dominated arcs. Journal of Petrology.
47. Edmonds, M., I. Sides, J. Maclennan, B. Houghton, D. Swanson, 2015. Insights into mixing, fractionation and degassing of primitive melts at Kīlauea Volcano, Hawai`i. In: Hawaiian volcanoes, from source to surface. Eds: M. Poland, R. Carey, D. Weiss. AGU Monograph Series, pp. 538.
46. Donovan, A., V. Tsanev,C. Oppenheimer,M. Edmonds, 2014. Reactive halogens (BrO and OClO) detected in the plume of Soufrière Hills Volcano during an eruption hiatus. G-Cubed, http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/2014GC005419.
45. Christopher, T., M. Edmonds, B. Taisne, H. Odbert, A. Costa, V. Hards, G. Wadge, 2014. Prolonged sulfur dioxide degassing at the Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat, and implications for gas release from deep magma. In: The Role of Volatiles in the Genesis, Evolution and Eruption of Arc Magmas. Eds G. Zellmer and M. Edmonds. Geological Society of London Special Publication 410.
44. Edmonds, M., Brett, A., M. Humphreys, A. Woods, R. A. Herd, 2014. Magnetite-bubble aggregates at mixing interfaces in andesite magma bodies. In: The Role of Volatiles in the Genesis, Evolution and Eruption of Arc Magmas. Eds G. Zellmer and M. Edmonds. Geological Society of London Special Publication 410, SP410-7.
43. Neave, D., J. Maclennan, M. Edmonds, T. Thordarson, 2014. Crystal storage and transfer in basaltic systems: The Skuggafjöll eruption, Iceland. Journal of Petrology.
42. Hartley, M., J. Maclennan, M. Edmonds, T. Thordarson, 2014. Shrinkage bubbles affect melt inclusion volatile systematics: deep degassing from the AD 1783 Laki eruption, Iceland. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 393, 120-131.
41. Neave, D., J. Maclennan, M. Edmonds, T. Thordarson, 2014. Mixing of geochemically distinct melts controls the volatile content of melt inclusions in the Skuggafjyoll eruption, Iceland. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 400, 272-283.
40. Plail, M., M. Edmonds, M. C. S. Humphreys, J. Barclay and R. A. Herd, 2014. Geochemical evidence for relict degassing pathways preserved in andesite. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 386, 21-33.
39. Sides, I., M. Edmonds, J. Maclennan, B. Houghton, D. Swanson, 2014. Eruption style at Kīlauea Volcano in Hawai`i linked to primary melt composition. Nature Geoscience, doi: 10.1038/NGEO2140.
38. Sides, I., M. Edmonds, J. Maclennan, B. Houghton, D. Swanson, 2014. Magma mixing and high fountaining during the 1959 Kīlauea Iki eruption, Hawai`i. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 400, 102-112.
37. McCormick, B., M. Herzog, J. Yang, M. Edmonds, T. A. Mather, S. A. Carn, S. Hidalgo, and B. Langmann, 2014. An integrated study of sulphur dioxide emissions from Tungurahua volcano, Ecuador. Journal of Geophysical Research Atmospheres 119, 7, 4264–4285.
36. Plail, M., J. Barclay, M. C. S. Humphreys, M. Edmonds, R. Herd & T. Christopher, 2014. Characterisation of mafic enclaves in the erupted products of Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat 1995-2010. In: The eruption of Soufriere Hills Montserrat from 2000 to 2010. Eds G. Wadge, R. Robertson, B. Voight. Geological Society, London, Memoirs, 39, 341–358.
35. Edmonds, M., M. C. S. Humphreys, E. H. Hauri, R. A. Herd, G. Wadge, H. Rawson, R. Ledden, M. Plail, J. Barclay, A. Aiuppa, T. Christopher, G. Giudice, R. Guida, 2014. The role of pre-eruptive vapour in eruption style and longevity at Soufriere Hills Volcano. In: The eruption of Soufriere Hills Montserrat from 2000 to 2010. Eds G. Wadge, R. Robertson, B. Voight. Geological Society, London, Memoirs, 39, 289–313.
34. Yallup, C., M. Edmonds, A. V. Turchyn, 2013. Sulphur degassing due to contact metamorphism during flood basalt eruptions. Geochimica Cosmochimica Acta 120, 263-279.
33. M. Edmonds, I. R. Sides, D. Swanson, C. Werner, R. S. Martin, T. A. Mather, R. A. Herd, R. L. Jones, M. I. Mead, G. Sawyer, T. Roberts, A. J. Sutton, T. Elias, 2013. Magma storage, transport and degassing during the 2008-10 summit eruption at Kīlauea Volcano, Hawai`i. Geochimica Cosmochimica Acta 123, 284-301.
32. Parks, M. M., S. Caliro, G. Chiodini, D. M. Pyle, T. A. Mather, K. Berlo, M. Edmonds, J. Biggs, P. Nomikou, C. Raptakis, 2013. Magmatic degassing at Santorini volcano, Greece, identified from soil gas measurements during the 2011-2012 period of unrest. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 377-378, 180-190.
31. McCormick, B. T., M. Edmonds, T. A. Mather, R. Campion, C. S. L. Hayer, H. E. Thomas and S. A. Carn, 2013. Volcano monitoring applications of the Ozone Monitoring Instrument (OMI). Special Publication of the Geological Society of London, 380, 259-291.
30. Humphreys,M.C.S., M. Edmonds, J. Barclay, M. Plail, D. Parkes & T. Christopher, 2013.A new method to quantify the real supply of mafic components to a hybrid andesite. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, 165, 1, 191-215.
29. McCormick, B. T., M. Edmonds, T. A. Mather, and S. A. Carn, 2012. First synoptic analysis of volcanic degassing in Papua New Guinea. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 13, Q03008, 21 PP, doi:10.1029/2011GC003945.
28. Mather, T. M., M.L.I. Witt, D.M. Pyle, B.M. Quayle, A. Aiuppa, E. Bagnato, R.S. Martin, K.W.W. Sims, M. Edmonds, A.J. Sutton and E. Ilyinskaya, 2012. Halogens, mercury and other trace metal emissions from the ongoing 2008 summit eruption of Kīlauea volcano, Hawai`i. Geochimica Cosmochimica Acta 83, 292-323.28.
27. Neave, D., R. A. Herd, G. Fabbro, C. Petrone and M. Edmonds, 2012. Melting, differentiation and degassing at Pantelleria Volcano. Journal of Petrology, 53, 3, 637-663, doi:10.1093/petrology/egr074.
26. Wallace, P.J., M. Edmonds, 2011. The Sulfur Budget in Magmas: Evidence from Melt Inclusions, Submarine Glasses, and Volcanic Gas Emissions. Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry, 73, 1, 215-246, DOI: 10.2138/rmg.2011.73.8.
25. Johnston, F.K.B., A.V. Turchyn, M. Edmonds, 2011. Decarbonation Efficiency in Subduction Zones: Implications for the Closure of the Tethys and warm Cretaceous climates. Earth Planetary Science Letters 303, 143–152.
24. Edmonds, M., A. Aiuppa, M. Humphreys, R. Moretti, G. Giudice, R. S. Martin, R. A. Herd, and T. Christopher, 2010. Excess volatiles supplied by mingling of mafic magma at an andesite arc volcano. Geochem. Geophys. Geosyst., doi:10.1029/2009GC002781.
23. Humphreys, M. C. S., Edmonds, M., Christopher, T., Hards, V., 2010. Magma hybridisation and diffusive exchange recorded in heterogeneous glasses from Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat. Geophys. Res. Lett., 37, doi:10.1029/2009GL041926.
22. Christopher, T., M. Edmonds, M. C. S. Humphreys, and R. A. Herd, 2010. Volcanic gas emissions from Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat 1995–2009, with implications for mafic magma supply and degassing. Geophys. Res. Lett., 37, , doi:10.1029/2009GL041325.
21. Humphreys, M.C.S., M. Edmonds, T. Christopher, V. Hards, 2009. Chlorine variations in the magma of Soufriere Hills Volcano, Montserrat: Insights from Cl in hornblende and melt inclusions. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 73, 19, 5693-5708.
20. Edmonds, M., T. M. Gerlach and R. A. Herd, 2008, Halogen degassing from water-poor basaltic magma. Chemical Geology, doi:10.1016/j.chemgeo.2008.09.022.
19. Edmonds, M., 2008. New Geochemical Insights into Volcanic Degassing. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society Series A, 366, 4559-4579, doi: 10.1098/rsta.2008.0185.
18. Edmonds, M., K. A. McGee and M. Doukas, 2008, Chlorine degassing during the lava dome-building eruption of Mount St Helens, USA, 2004-2005. In: Sherrod, D. S. and Scott, W. E., A Volcano Rekindled: the first year of renewed eruption at Mount St Helens, 2004-2006, US Geological Survey Professional Paper 1750.
17. Rodriguez, L. A. and Watson, I. M., Edmonds, M. and Ryan, G. and Hards, V. L. and Oppenheimer, C. M. M. and Bluth, G. J. S., 2008. SO2 loss rates in the plume emitted by Soufrière Hills volcano, Montserrat. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 173 (1-2). pp. 135-147.
16. Edmonds, M. and R.A. Herd, 2007. A volcanic degassing event at the explosive-effusive transition. Geophysical Research Letters, 34, L21310, doi:10.1029/2007GL031379.
15. Edmonds, M. and T. M. Gerlach, 2007. Vapor segregation and loss in basaltic melts. Geology 35, 8, 751-754.
14. Edmonds, M. and T. M. Gerlach, 2006. The airborne lava-seawater interaction plume at Kilauea Volcano, Hawai`i. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 244, 83-96. [Featured in Nature News and Views, 440, 620, 30 March 2006 doi:10.1038/440620a], doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2006.02.005.
13. Edmonds, M., R. A. Herd and M. Strutt, 2006. Tephra deposits associated with a large lava dome collapse, Soufriere Hills Volcano, Montserrat, 12-15 July 2003. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 153, 313-330, doi: 10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2005.12.008.
12. Edmonds, M. and R. A. Herd, 2005. An inland-directed base surge generated by the explosive interaction of pyroclastic flows and seawater at Soufrière Hills volcano, Montserrat. Geology, 33, 4, 245-248, doi: 10.1130/G21166.1.
11. Herd, R. A., Edmonds, M., Bass, V. A., 2005. Catastrophic lava dome failure at Soufriere Hills Volcano, Montserrat, 12-13 July 2003. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 148, 234-252.
10. Pelinovsky, E., N. Zahibo, P. Dunkley, M. Edmonds, R. Herd, T. Talipova, A. Kozelkov, and I. Nikolkina, 2004. Tsunami generated by the volcano eruption on July 12–13, 2003 at Montserrat, Lesser Antilles. Science of Tsunami Hazards 22, no. 1, 44-57.
9. Edmonds, M., C. M. Oppenheimer, D. M. Pyle, R. A. Herd and G. Thompson, 2003. SO2 emissions from Soufrière Hills Volcano and their relationship to conduit permeability, hydrothermal interaction and degassing regime. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 124, 1-2, 23-43, doi: 10.1016/S0377-0273(03)00041-6.
8. Edmonds, M., C. Oppenheimer, D. Pyle and R. Herd, 2003. Rainwater and ash leachate analysis as proxies for plume chemistry at Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat. In: C. Oppenheimer, D. Pyle and J. Barclay (eds) Volcanic Degassing. Geological Society of London Special Publication, 213, 203-218. Cited 18.
7. Edmonds, M., R A Herd, B Galle and C Oppenheimer, 2003. Automated, high time-resolution measurements of SO2 flux at Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat, West Indies, Bulletin of Volcanology, 65, 578-586, doi: 10.1007/s00445-003-0286-x.
6. McGonigle, A. J. S. C. Oppenheimer, A. R. Hayes, B. Galle, M. Edmonds, T. Caltabiano, G. Salerno, M. Burton, T. A. Mather, 2003. Sulphur dioxide fluxes from Mount Etna, Vulcano, and Stromboli measured with an automated scanning ultraviolet spectrometer. Journal of Geophysical Research, 108, B9, doi:10.1029/2002JB002261.
5. Galle, B., C. Oppenheimer, A. Geyer, A. J. S. McGonigle, M. Edmonds, L. A. Horrocks, 2003. A miniaturised ultraviolet spectrometer for remote sensing of SO2 fluxes: a new tool for volcano surveillance. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 119, 241-254. Cited 159.
4. Edmonds, M., D. M. Pyle and C. Oppenheimer, 2002. HCl emissions at Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat, West Indies, during a second phase of dome building, November 1999 to September 2000, Bulletin of Volcanology, 64, 21-30, doi: 10.1007/s00445-001-0175-0.
3. Norton, G. E., R. B. Watts, B. Voight, G. S. Mattioli, R. A. Herd, S. R. Young, G. E. Devine, W. P. Aspinnall, C. Bonadonna, B. J. Baptie, M. Edmonds, A. D. Jolly, S. C. Loughlin, R. Luckett, R. S. J. Sparks, 2002. Pyroclastic flow and explosive activity at Soufriere Hills Volcano, Montserrat, during a period of virtually no magma extrusion (March 1998 to November 1999). Geological Society, London, Memoirs 21, 467-481.
2. Oppenheimer, C., M. Edmonds, P. Francis, M. Burton, 2002. Variation in HCl/SO2 gas ratios observed by Fourier transform spectroscopy at Soufriere Hills Volcano, Montserrat. Geological Society, London, Memoirs 21, 621-639.
1. Edmonds, M., D. M. Pyle and C. Oppenheimer, 2001. A model of degassing at Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat, West Indies, based on geochemical data, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 186, 159-173, 186, 159-173.